Festivals are undoubtedly occasions for family and friends to enjoy themselves to the fullest, but we also cannot ignore the risks involved. It’s time to remind people of all the fire safety precautions while erecting pandals in preparation for Durga Puja, one of Kolkata’s most significant events (just around the corner) so that the festive season is free of fire risks. Fire Prevention and Consultancy Services would want to use this opportunity to remind everyone who reads this blog about the fire safety procedures that each pandal should follow to protect the safety of all citizens.
The safety guidelines that the puja committees building pandals must strictly follow to prevent any unfortunate incidents during the celebration of Durga Puja are listed below:-
- No Pandal may be constructed more than 45 meters from the main road.
- No Pandal may be built directly below a high-tension electrical wire. Pandal construction must be done roughly 6 feet away from the high-tension line.
- The Pandal must not be built within 15 meters of any electrical installations, dangerous materials, stores, or other locations that could catch fire.
- The Pandal’s Exit and Entry shall have an 8-meter arch and be 5 meters wide.
- Internal wiring and additional light fixtures within and outside the pandal must be done with electrical cables bearing the ISI brand.
- The Pandal must use the proper Electric Line Control Breakers (ELCBs) to regulate an erratic power supply.
- The use of fireworks and open flames is prohibited in the area around the Pandal.
- Sufficient firefighting equipment must be available to take immediate action if there’s a need.
The puja committees have also been requested to deploy volunteers both inside and outside of the pandals after providing them with emergency response training. Other requirements include having access to medical care and having restrooms specifically for women.
The Fire Services Department is taking extensive precautions to avoid accidents during the festive days of Durga Puja in the city. To ensure a safe puja, the Fire and Emergency Services Department likes to encourage the organizers to abide by fire prevention guidelines strictly. To guarantee that pandals have sufficient fire safety precautions in place, they would maintain a close eye. No bias would be present when exercising vigilance. Therefore, it is not necessary to be harsh or lenient depending on the size of the puja. Ensuring a safe puja is the main purpose.
Nothing worth doing goes unrewarded. Every year, the committees that follow the best procedures and fire safety laws are awarded the highest medal from the Fire and Emergency Services Department. This year will be no exception.
Hopefully, everyone will fully participate in the celebration and have a great time after enduring a lengthy period of COVID terror. Fire Prevention and Consultancy Services team wishes you a wonderful festive season ahead.